Stalingrad changed its name in 1961 and became Volgograd. The city is situated on the right bank of the river Volga. Unlike many other old Russian towns, however, it has no ancient architectural monuments: between July, 1942, and February, 1943, a battle raged in and around the city, a battle which had a decisive influence on the outcome of the World War II. In the course of almost two hungred days and nights of fighting, the city was totally destroyed, and after the war it had to be built up again out of the ruins.
You can see several images with ruins of Stalingrad and modern city, which made from the same point of view. It\’s a great!
Today Volgograd is the administrative centre of one of the largest regional divisions in the Russian Federation. The population of the city is more than 1,000,000.
«The city was founded in 1589 as a fortress guarding the trade route along the Volga. It look its first name, Tsaritsyn, from the island on which it was originally built. Known as Sary-Chin, or Yellow Sand to the Tatars, the island still exists today and can be seen from the Central Embankment. At the beginning of the 17th century Tsaritsyn was burnt to the ground and then rebuilt on the right bank of the river… (see historical details until beginning World War II)».